[Clamav-devel] enabling DMG and XAR support

Dale Walsh dale at daleenterprise.com
Thu Mar 20 15:55:36 EDT 2014

Mark, this has been an issue for many versions along with a slew of
others things not working as expected.

As much as I liked ClamAV, we've abandoned it as a mail solution
shortly after things stopped working correctly and they changed the
required build tools so you can no longer build it with GCC
3.3/4.0/4.1/4.2 and have a fully functional app.

Yes there are flags to get it to build but certain modules and
features don't build and making an incomplete and partially
functional binary isn't appealing.

Advice on updating build tools is a waste of time as there is no
reason to update the build tools just to build ClamAV as it's the
only one that has this ridiculous built-tool requirement and only an
idiot would tell me to update.

My thoughts on this is simple, if it doesn't build with the basic GNU
GCC compiler tools then it's seriously flawed and needs these other
tools to overcome the short-comings of poorly written/implemented code.

When I say build, I mean build with full functionality so don't go
off the deep-end stating it builds, partial functionality may be
acceptable to you bhut it isn't to me.

At this time, for personal use, I use the source code but repackage
the build environment to work with what I have and I'm comfortable
with submitting corrections and patches, too much focus and
complaints on my build tools so why waste my time.

-- Dale