[clamav-users] virus detection status

Al Varnell alvarnell at mac.com
Wed May 13 02:30:06 EDT 2015

I can’t speak for ClamAV, but will give you several of my own comments.

If you aren’t receiving an average of around three or four freshclam updates a day with hundreds/thousands of new signatures, then something is wrong.  If you are, then obviously clamav is still active, correct?

Last I heard, the ClamAV signature team receives well over 650,000 samples a day with a very small team turning out signatures.  When you submit a sample you can choose to be notified when it has been processed, but you must subscribed to the clamav-virusdb list in order to receive it.

If you need information on something you have submitted, then you need to provide the MD5 of the file here, in order to expedite an answer.

Commercial firms will almost always beat ClamAV since they can afford the resources for 24/7 operation to keep up with the work load and do not have to rely on others to submit samples to them.

You are also encouraged to prepare and submit your own signatures. See "Introducing ClamAV community signatures”
<http://blog.clamav.net/2014/02/introducing-clamav-community-signatures.html>.

-Al-
--
Al Varnell