[clamav-users] Need help: clamd stops after starting without any error message

Torge Riedel torgeriedel at gmx.de
Wed Apr 19 07:57:51 EDT 2017

I worked around the "OOM" problem by ordering 1 GB more RAM at my provider and - thanks to VM world - the RAM was increased to 2 GB on the fly.

After that I was able to start clamd. Output of "top -p <clamd.pid>" is:

Tasks:   1 total,   0 running,   1 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.0%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni,100.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi, 0.0%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2097152k total,  1242976k used,   854176k free,        0k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   188020k cached

   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+ COMMAND
  9102 clamav    20   0  670m 499m  644 S    0 24.4   0:00.00 clamd

I think 670m / 499m is quite a lot for a small sized VM, although I have to say that this VM is really old and new VM orders always start at minimum of 2 GB of RAM.

Any chance to reduce RAM usage of clamd by configuration?

Torge