[clamav-users] Hey thanks, But I'm still clueless.

Micah Snyder (micasnyd) micasnyd at cisco.com
Tue Jul 24 11:24:32 EDT 2018

Hi Cryofruit,

Sorry I haven't had time to respond again to give you a more step by step explanation of how to run ClamAV.

You wrote:
What I suppose I will try to do is set up clamav portable version in windows 10 and then just download the virus signatures (are there official and unofficial ones just like on linux?) and then just move them over to the needed computer and then run a full (all encompassing scan) (however I would really like to know how to just scan only one folder or directory if possible as well)
the thing is that I have no idea how to do this.

I put this together for you.  I'll try to similar user guide material in upcoming improvements to our documentation for the next release.

  1.  Download: http://www.clamav.net/downloads/production/clamav-0.100.1-win-x64-portable.zip
  2.  Unzip it.
  3.  Open the clamav-0.100.1-win-x64-portable directory.
  4.  Hold down Shift and then right-click on the background in the current directory (but not on one of the files).  Select "Open PowerShell window here".  If that option doesn't appear, try again.
  5.  In the Powershell window, perform the following tasks
     *   Run:  copy .\conf_examples\freshclam.conf.sample .\freshclam.conf
     *   Run:  write.exe .\freshclam.conf
        *   WordPad will pop up.  Delete the line that says "Example".  Save the file and close WordPad.
     *   Run:  .\freshclam.exe
        *   freshclam will download some files and drop them in the database directory.  This can take a minute or two depending on how fast your internet connection is.  The files are a pretty large.
     *   You are now ready to perform scans with ClamAV.  If you wish, you may now copy the entire clamav-0.100.1-win-x64-portable directory to the computer(s) you wish to scan.  However, you may wish to first try a scan.
     *   Run this to scan the files in the current directory:  .\clamscan.exe .
        *   This will scan the current directory.  At the end of the scan, it will display a summary.  If you notice in the clamscan output, it only scanned something like 60 files, even though there are more files in subdirectories.  By default, clamscan will only scan files in the current directory.
     *   Run this to scan ALL the files in the current directory:  .\clamscan.exe --recursive .
     *   If you want to scan all of the files on your C: drive, it will take quite a while.  Run the following, and keep in mind that you can cancel it at any time by pressing Ctrl-C.
        *   .\clamscan --recursive C:\
     *   For more information on ways you can use clamscan, run:  .\clamscan.exe --help

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder