[clamav-users] Partial downloads of updates

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jul 30 11:28:14 EDT 2018

I've been having some issues over the last few weeks with freshclam
failing to download updates.  It appears that it downloads the updates
the majority of the way (e.g., 95-99%) but then times out before it
finishes the download.  (See example log output below.)

This may not necessarily be an issue with clamav/freshclam itself, as
the problem looks like it might be related to ipv6.  (I think I was able
to get freshclam to successfully update from an ipv4 site during one
recent debugging session.)  However, ipv6 definitely does appear to be
working on my machine - I do have an ipv6 address for instance, and can
successfully access http://ipv6.google.com, and all other internet
traffic appears to be working on the box.  So if it's an ipv6 issue, I'm
not clear what it is.  (Perhaps my router's support for ipv6 somehow
isn't complete and/or my server is misconfigured for ipv6.)

Any pointers in the right direction on how to solve this issue would be
greatly appreciated, as I'm rather stumped myself ... and my clam virus
defs remain out of date until I can get this fixed.

Thanks,

DR

---

$ sudo freshclam --verbose --debug
Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/daily-24792.cdiff
Trying to download http://database.clamav.net/daily-24792.cdiff (IP:
2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:b98a)
Downloading daily-24792.cdiff [ 97%]
nonblock_recv: recv timing out (30 secs)
WARNING: getfile: Download interrupted: Operation now in progress (IP:
2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:b98a)
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-24792.cdiff from database.clamav.net
Querying daily.24792.91.0.0.2400cb0020480001000000006810b98a.ping.clamav.net
Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/daily-24792.cdiff
Trying to download http://database.clamav.net/daily-24792.cdiff (IP:
2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:bc8a)
Downloading daily-24792.cdiff [ 97%]