[clamav-users] After 0.100.1 Update, clamd crashe

Micah Snyder (micasnyd) micasnyd at cisco.com
Tue Jul 31 13:55:07 EDT 2018

Ged,

Meaning no offense here - but not every crash is a security vulnerability.  You shouldn't trust 3rd party signatures unless you trust the source of the signatures.

We take vulnerabilities in parsing untrusted user input (such as when scanning a file or email) very seriously.  Signature databases, on the other hand, should qualify as trusted input.

If there is a known defect in how a signature is parsed - we can avoid it until such time as we have the ability to fix the feature.  To be clear, Mickey stated that in the ticket that we're leaving the ticket open because it is very clearly a bug that we intend to fix.  However, we have a lot on our plates and very few developers.  If you have the time to find a good fix for it, we'll take your patch or pull request.

Respectfully,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development