[clamav-win32] Clamd as a service in Windows 2003 Server

Bret Miller bret.miller at wcg.org
Mon Oct 22 18:54:17 CEST 2007

> >> I've downloaded and installed ClamAV to run clamd as a
> >> service on my Server as I want to scan mail attachments by my
> >> mailserver.
> >>
> >> But I simply cannot get clamd installed as a service. I've
> >> first tried with the MS resource kit tools and installed
> >> clamd.exe as a service. But I can never start it with that.
> >>
> >> Then I found in the archives here a zip-file with a vb-script
> >> that installs clamd as a service and initially it was
> >> running, but when I try to start it now, I get the error:
> >>
> >> "Could not start the ClamAV for Windows service on Local Computer
> >>
> >> Error 193: 0xc1"
> >>
> >> Does anybody know how to install it as a service?
> >
> >In addition to his power tools, I also have a service that
> runs clamd. You
> >can get it from http://webmail.wcg.org/~support/#clamav.
> It's semi-supported
> >freeware, and I can provide the source (C#) if you're into
> modifying it
> >yourself.
>
> Bret
>
> I have installed your script, which I found in the archives
> of this mailing list.
> But here I get this error message. Do you have an idea what
> the prob could be?

Is there a file called "program" in the root directory of the drive where
"Program Files" exists? If so, it appears that could cause this error.

Microsoft's technote says the error means "invalid exe format", which could
indicate that the ClamDaemonService.exe file didn't get copied correctly
into the \Program Files\clamAV\service folder. Check to make sure it's there
and that it's properties indicate a version (meaning that it thinks it's a
program).

There seems to be a bug somewhere that causes the "program" file to get
created on some computers. I'll see if I can figure out what is being
created as that and if I can fix it.

Bret