[clamav-win32] Clamd as a service in Windows 2003 Server

Bret Miller bret.miller at wcg.org
Tue Oct 23 17:16:58 CEST 2007

> >Is there a file called "program" in the root directory of
> the drive where
> >"Program Files" exists? If so, it appears that could cause
> this error.
>
> >Microsoft's technote says the error means "invalid exe
> format", which could
> >indicate that the ClamDaemonService.exe file didn't get
> copied correctly
> >into the \Program Files\clamAV\service folder. Check to make
> sure it's there
> >and that it's properties indicate a version (meaning that it
> thinks it's a
> >program).
>
> >There seems to be a bug somewhere that causes the "program"
> file to get
> >created on some computers. I'll see if I can figure out what is being
> >created as that and if I can fix it.
>
> Hi Bret
>
> Yes, I did have a file called program in my root. I deleted
> it and started the service
> and it did start without an error message. The
> ClamDaemonService.exe is in that
> directory and it has a Version.
>
> After I started the service, the Program file was created
> again with the following
> text in it:
>
> Tue Oct 23 13:05:54 2007 -> +++ Started at Tue Oct 23 13:05:54 2007
> Tue Oct 23 13:05:54 2007 -> clamd daemon 0.91.2 (OS: windows,
> ARCH: i386, CPU: i686)
> Tue Oct 23 13:05:54 2007 -> Log file size limited to 1048576 bytes.
> Tue Oct 23 13:05:54 2007 -> Reading databases from C:\Program
> Tue Oct 23 13:05:54 2007 -> Not loading PUA signatures.
> Tue Oct 23 13:05:54 2007 -> ERROR: Malformed database
> Can't change dir to C:\Program
>
> After it started the service, I have deleted the file, but it
> got recreated after a couple of minutes.

OK... For some reason, clamd is writing a log there. Try this:

Edit the clamd.conf and freshclam.conf both in the "service" folder. For
clamd.conf, uncomment the LogFile line and put quotes around the path. For
freshclam.conf, the line is already uncommented, so just put quotes around
the path.

Bret