[clamav-win32] New version 0.93.1

Bret Miller bret.miller at wcg.org
Thu Jun 19 23:13:32 CEST 2008

>> Hello.
>>
>> Now i'm very confused about this versions of 0.93.1.
>> Till now u have downloaded it from:
>> http://w32.clamav.net/
>> It worked great but there is no longer new version.
>>

> I'm not sure why there hasn't been a recent version from there, but there are other more
> recent builds you could try:
>
> sosdg has a version using cygwin emulation http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32
>
> clamwin has a ported version but includes a gui etc. http://www.clamwin.com/
>
> and there are others.

http://hideout.ath.cx/clamav/ also has a native build, though there's is
based somewhat on the ClamWin codebase. I've never used their build
because originally it was ported using cygwin like sosdg, and I already
had one that worked using that method. I too prefer a native build if it
performs decently enough.

I started with sosdg, then moved around builds, and when the
w32.clamav.net build stopped updating, ended up back on the sosdg build
because it's performance is great compared with my last experiences with
ClamWin.

I can't stand that all Windows versions have to put themselves in a
different directory structure, and that not one of them follows Windows
conventions for data placement. The build I mentioned above is probably
the closest to reasonable directory placement without following
standards. Nigel's w32.clamav.net build is going to have issues on
Windows where it doesn't allow a user to write to the Program Files
tree, so it needs a mod to relocate the data to ProgramData or AppData
where it belongs. Both can easily be had from environment variables or
WMI calls even in windows scripting languages.

Bret