[Clamav-devel] CalmAV In-Memory Scan

Eugene Crosser crosser at average.org
Wed Apr 5 16:09:35 EDT 2017

On 04/05/2017 09:27 PM, Michael Engstler wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed that when using the INSTREAM command and sending it a memory
> buffer of a file, clamd takes the memory buffer and saves it to
> the TemporaryDirectory (as defined in the config file).
>
> This is an unnecessary overhead as it requires disk IO in order to scan the
> file which is already loaded in-memory.
> Is there any way to command clamd to scan the buffer completely in-memory
> without writing anything to the disk?

That's a feature that I requested many years ago because I had a non-copying
MIME parser that worked on mmap()ed files, and I wanted to virus-scan some parts
of the message. It was not possible, and I think it's not possible now.

I suggest you to mmap() your memory region to a temp. file, ideally on tmpfs,
and pass this file to clamav. That ought to minimize the overhead.

Eugene