[clamav-users] Priority problem

Bernard Thédié bernard.thedie at laposte.net
Thu Jul 24 14:23:16 EDT 2014

Le 24/07/2014 19:02, Matus UHLAR - fantomas a écrit :
> On 24.07.14 09:34, Bernard Thédié wrote:
>> Using clamdscan brings up more questions.
>> clamdscan works pretty well with the option --fdpass.
>> However, the scan process is still using 98% of one CPU, even if I do
>> a "sudo renice 19 <clamd pid>".
>> On a dual core, it leaves a processor free for me to work during the
>> scan... I'm still looking for a way of running clamd in a more silent
>> manner.
>
> why do you want your CPU to be idle when it can do the scanning?
> at nice level od 19, program only runs when nothing else needs the CPU.

Silly reason... my computer has a very, very noisy fan. At 90% it's
unbearable ! So it's OK for a short burst, but scanning my USB key takes
about 40 mn... few programs (that I use) need resources for such a long
time.

I think I really should solve that fan problem. Probably, all I need is
a PC with a silent cooling !

However, that "problem" made me discover a few more things about Linux.

Bernard