[clamav-users] Why are the ClamAV team so slow at creating signatures ?

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at cisco.com
Fri Oct 3 16:25:46 EDT 2014

> On Oct 3, 2014, at 7:19 AM, Tim Smith <randomdev4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Over the last 24-48 hours, I submitted a number of email attachments.
> RAR files that contained viruses.
>
> Running one or two of them through VirusTotal today, I see ClamAV have
> *STILL* not managed to produce virus definitions for them !
>
> All of the commercial vendors I submitted the samples to had analysed
> and created samples in timeframes ranging from hours to one day.
>
> At this rate I'm going to be dumping ClamAV from my systems and
> subscribing to a service from a commercial vendor .....
>
> Looking forward to hearing the reasons why !

Tim, I know someone contacted you offlist, however, for the sake of the community —

We receive about 1.1M samples a day here.  If you submit something, and is more than just a casual submission, maybe you need something covered right away.  We are always open to a little poke with the md5/sha256 so we can look at what you submitted.

We love the feedback from our users, and always look forward to a constructive dialog.

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager