[clamav-users] Freshclam failing

Dennis Peterson dennispe at inetnw.com
Wed Mar 11 20:45:52 EDT 2015

For people with their own DNS servers it is a fairly trivial thing to do to
create a DNS-based load balanced round robin server list using all the servers
from all world regions. Not unlike a BigIP in that regard, you check the
response lag of a DNS query to all servers and you might as well make it count
by grabbing the current signatures from the TXT record. A little bit of code to
find the mirrors with the best response and newest signatures, update the local
zone file and go to it. It shouldn't take long to zero in on the 10 top world
wide mirrors. This would be particularly nice if you are also a private mirror.

Reminds me of how we used to load balance software license servers at Boeing. In
that case we looked for servers that were up and had the most free licenses.

dp