[clamav-users] False Positive - Win.Exploit.CVE_2016_3316-1?

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 10 05:52:00 EDT 2016

On 10-8-16 08:22, ANANT S ATHAVALE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Most of the mails are marked with  Win.Exploit.CVE_2016_3316-1.  Is this a false positive?

Yes.

Created a completely empty .doc file using LibreOffice on linux, and the resulting file was recognized as Win.Exploit.CVE_2016_3316-1.

This means that on our medium sized ISP, we got so many false positives from ClamAV in a few hours, that it would take several weeks for ClamAV to even find the same number of true positives in our e-mail stream.

Guess that's the end of ClamAV as an e-mail virus scanner here...

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."