[clamav-users] clamd does not bind to port when starting through init.d/service ubuntu 16.04

G.W. Haywood clamav at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 12:30:50 EDT 2016

Hi there,

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016, Jeff Dyke wrote:

> ... if i start clamd with
> sudo -u clamav /usr/sbin/clamd --config-file=/etc/clamav/clamd.conf
> it *will* bind to that address and port.
> When starting via /etc/init.d/clamav-daemon start or sudo service
> clamav-daemon start it does not bind to the port.
>
> ... No ... socket received from systemd.

Are the other servers also Ubuntu 16.04?

What are they all doing?

Anything more from the clamd.conf debug options?

I use ClamAV only on mail servers.  I tend not to use distro packages
for things mail, and anyway I have yet to use ClamAV on a systemd box
(and with luck I never will) - but in your shoes I'd be inclined e.g.
to chmod a-x the ClamAV scripts in /etc/init.d then put something to
start clamd in /etc/rc.local to see if it works there after the
network stack is all up and running.

--

73,
Ged.