[clamav-users] clamd does not bind to port when starting through init.d/service ubuntu 16.04

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Aug 27 16:21:03 EDT 2016

Am 27.08.2016 um 22:15 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2016, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> Am 27.08.2016 um 18:30 schrieb G.W. Haywood:
>>> Hi there,

>>> Are the other servers also Ubuntu 16.04?
>>>
>>> What are they all doing?
>>>
>>> Anything more from the clamd.conf debug options?
>>>
>>> I use ClamAV only on mail servers.  I tend not to use distro packages
>>> for things mail, and anyway I have yet to use ClamAV on a systemd box
>>> (and with luck I never will) - but in your shoes I'd be inclined e.g.
>>> to chmod a-x the ClamAV scripts in /etc/init.d then put something to
>>> start clamd in /etc/rc.local to see if it works there after the
>>> network stack is all up and running
>>
>> to start with a proper environment don't contain anything in /etc/init.d
>> if we talk about systemd
>>
>> so what tells "systemctl list-units | grep clam" and what tells
>> "systemctl status" for each listed uint - to get a minimum overview how
>> the system is wired togehter (not that good when using compat startscripts)
>
> The impression I got from the original bug report is that there should
> be a "clamd.socket" unit file that either is missing or is not running
> properly

that maybe true - but to be honest nobody needs
systemd-socket-activation (which is the only purpose and has drwabcks
like stop service don't work until you remember to also stop the socket
or the next connection will fire up the service again) for a service
which is permanently used and hence i posted how to write systemd-units
and not rely on all that distro-mess