[clamav-users] ClamAV not detecting viruses

Andrew Wood andrewjameswood at ymail.com
Fri Jan 1 12:11:35 EST 2016

Apologies if Im missing something obvious here but I have some
attachments (.doc, .xls & .zip files) which came attached to spam emails
which Im using to test out ClamAV on Debian Jessie (installed from the
official Debian package).

Windows Defender says that they contain TrojanDownloader:JS/Swabfex.E &
TrojanDownloader:o97M/Adnel but running clamscan on them says they are
not infected.

The freshclam log shows that the definitions are being updated every
hour, but Debian does not ship with a skeleton clamd.conf file and from
Googling I cant work out if its required or not?

Is there any other reason why those infections would not be being detected?

Thanks
Andrew