[clamav-users] Clamd high CPU during clamdscan

Dennis Peterson dennispe at inetnw.com
Wed Jan 27 01:38:24 EST 2016

The "nice" utility is your very best friend. It yields CPU time to other
operations but will run like crazy of nothing else is a higher priority. Clam is
a disk IO heavy process for obvious reasons, and can drive disk waits up quite
high. It is also CPU intensive but should occupy a single core. There is no way
around the disk IO problem because it scans files. But - if you run it just
after a system backup chances are good it will find many of the files it scans
in cache. That helps reduce disk IO but bumps up CPU load.

dp