[clamav-users] ClamAV virus database not downloaded: No permission ?!

Al Varnell alvarnell at mac.com
Tue May 17 05:27:56 EDT 2016


I don’t see how that can possibly happen if you use freshclam instead of curl.  You only need to download main.cvd once ever few years, so once you have a clean copy you should be set.

-Al-

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 02:29 AM, Zvi Kave wrote:
> 
> Al,
> 
> But the problem is that in 90% of the cases,
> 
> instead of getting the real main.cvd or daily.cvd,
> 
> I get a file with the following text:
> 
> <|DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
> <html><head>
> <title>403 Forbidden</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Forbidden</h1>
> <p>You don't have permission to access /daily.cvd
> on this server.<br />
> </p>
> <hr>
> <address>Apache/2.4.20 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.2g Server at <a href="mailto:webmaster at omroep.nl">database.clamav.net</a> Port 80</addresss>
> </body></html>
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Zvi
> 
> On 17/05/2016 12:13, Al Varnell wrote:
>> Your main.cvd file should start with:
>> 
>> ClamAV-VDB:16 Mar 2016 23-17 +0000:57:4218790:60:06386
>> 
>> If it doesn’t then your original download is corrupt and will need to be re-downloaded.
>> 
>> -Al-
>> 
>> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 02:33 AM, Zvi Kave wrote:
>>> Yes. Usually I got a lot of messages like this:
>>> ClamAV update process started at Sat Apr 30 03:00:50 2016
>>> Reading CVD header (main.cvd): Trying again in 5 secs...
>>> ClamAV update process started at Sat Apr 30 03:00:57 2016
>>> Reading CVD header (main.cvd): Trying again in 5 secs...
>>> ClamAV update process started at Sat Apr 30 03:01:02 2016
>>> ClamAV update process started at Sat Apr 30 03:01:19 2016
>>> Reading CVD header (main.cvd): Trying again in 5 secs...
>>> ClamAV update process started at Sat Apr 30 03:01:25 2016
>>> 
>>> Zvi
>>> 
>>> On 16/05/2016 11:30, Al Varnell wrote:
>>>> Is there some reason you are not using freshclam to do this initially and thereafter to download incremental updates?
>>>> 
>>>> Sent from Janet's iPad
>>>> 
>>>> -Al-
>>>> 
>>>> On May 16, 2016, at 1:29 AM, Zvi Kave<zvi.kave at razlee.com>  wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>> 
>>>>> I am trying to download daily.cvd and main.cvd by curl command as follows:
>>>>> 
>>>>> curl  --data-binary -k"http://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd"  -G -o daily.cvd
>>>>> 
>>>>> Most of the time, I get this text instead of the real *.cvd file:
>>>>> 
>>>>> <|DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
>>>>> <html><head>
>>>>> <title>403 Forbidden</title>
>>>>> </head><body>
>>>>> <h1>Forbidden</h1>
>>>>> <p>You don't have permission to access /daily.cvd
>>>>> on this server.<br />
>>>>> </p>
>>>>> <hr>
>>>>> <address>Apache/2.4.20 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.2g Server at <a href="mailto:webmaster at omroep.nl">database.clamav.net</a> Port 80</addresss>
>>>>> </body></html>
>>>>> 
>>>>> But randomly I get the real cvd file!?
>>>>> 
>>>>> Can someone help me in this weird issue?
>>>>> 
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>> 
>>>>> Zvi
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide:
>>>> https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq
>>>> 
>>>> http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
>>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide:
>>> https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq
>>> 
>>> http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
>> -Al-
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide:
>> https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq
>> 
>> http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide:
> https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq
> 
> http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml

-Al-
-- 
Al Varnell
Mountain View, CA




-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 2370 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-users/attachments/20160517/dec1a2cc/attachment.bin>


More information about the clamav-users mailing list