[clamav-users] signature processing order

Groach groachmail-stopspammingme at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 08:37:24 EDT 2016

I dont understand why anyone would want to delete a signature from their
databases even if it is a duplicate. Consider this:

MAIN:  signature "BadWilly" (no guesses what it might be trying to trap)
3rdParty signature "3rdBadWilly" attempting to catch the same virus

Ok, so now you have determined there are 2 viruses with the same
intewntion.  So you delete one of them

Unknown to you, the one you deleted wasnt very good and doesnt actually
work as expected.  (Whereas the deleted one weas good).

OR

You delete one, leaving one that was once proven effective...then tnat
same provider changes that defniition (agains leaving you without the
protection).

OR.... you delete signature (thinkning its redundant) then do a database
update and it gets restored again.

And you simply cant ask the providers to not include the definitions
'just because MAIN Clam has included it' because MAYBE there is a
customer that does like or update MAIN database (and actually likes to
rely solely on the 3rd party database).