[clamav-users] ClamAV+exim: scanner finds not a single malware

Groach groachmail-stopspammingme at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 19:36:57 EDT 2016

Ooh, Joel, Im going to enjoys replying to this one.......

On 28/05/2016 23:42, Joel Esler (jesler) wrote:
> Groach,
>
> If you hate the project so much....
I dont hate he product.  Only last week (if you care to read back) I
declared how the product WITH THE AID OF 3RD PARTY SIGNATURES made it
almost the best product out there for ZERO-HOUR threats.  And with this
reason, and CONSEQUENTLY the sheer fact I keep the product in operation
for the last 3 years, shows that I do not hate the product.  Nor would
you see my very blatant advertising for it (as recommendation) in my
signature here: https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/index.php (it wont
take long for you to see).

> ......that you have to complain during every thread .....

I dont.  Look back and I have hardly responded to any.  I came on in
March (maybe February) after that fiasco with the windows system-killing
signature issued back at the time.  And I have involved myself to about
4 or 5 threads since.  FOUR.  However, what I have done is not relent on
the point I was making at the time.  In the initial thread you were
pretty dismissive of the problem ("we cant test everything", "we are
working on other things", "we havent had many complaints" etc etc) and
therefore, yes, it got pretty intense for you because such an attitude
to a genuine users 'feedback' about the damage your product did was
outrageous and I wouldnt let it go. It was for this reason you remember
very clearly. And rather than sling mud at you I decided to battle on to
get the point across until you DID finally acknowledge there were issues
to be addressed.  And let me remind you that only earlier this week you
acknowledged that my complaint and issues raised were partly responsible
for the work you have done recently.

> and refuse to help and be constructive by providing files,

NOW I feel I want to swear at you!  Reminder:  I spent 2 YEARS regularly
sending in reports and files for inoculation by the ClamAV team as well
as the endless stream of False Positives.  These reports were done
almost DAILY.  And it was the observation that despite sending these
reports in nothing actually got done that made me so aware of the poor
performance of the product and the teams dealing with the signatures.
So you can take your claims of me 'not providing files' and stick them
in the hole you left where your up-to-date EFFECTIVE signatures should be!

> or signatures for those files (which is just plain productive),....

NO!  YOU provide the signatures!  I gave you the files, and the false
positives!  And now you are saying I need to give the signatures too?!
"Here, have an engine, receive a threat, analyse it, generate a
signature to protect yourself  and let us have a copy please too (oh,
and dont forget to pay the ransom to get your system back from the
Cryptolocker virus that we failed to stop for you)". REALLY?!!  Is that
how you want to maintain an Antivirus Solution? (Obviously, yes.  It
does explain why they are so ineffective).

> then perhaps you need to seek assistance elsewhere.

I dont need assistance.  I KNOW the usefulness (or lack of) of ClamAV
and its definitions.  My posts reminding of their performance were a
reminder to help others who THINK they are getting a protected system by
relying on Clam (only) signatures.  THIS is what I call being helpful.
I dont think telling a 'user' of an ineffective system to stop
complaining about it and keep quiet' any form of assistance whatsoever.

> I am all for trying to help everyone on this list, as long as people
> on this list attempt to help us, but just being honest, this method of
> engagement is not helpful.

And there we have it.  You dont even know what is helpful and what isnt.

a,  I was responding to OTHER people who showed interest, requested
information from me (DP) and actually had nothing to do with you and
b, On 28/05/2016 17:03, Joel Esler (jesler) wrote:
> So our recent improvements and detection have not produced any different result in the field?
I was doing a test for YOU to see and conclude yourself!  Dont bark at
me when you dont like the results given back to you.

c,  WE are ENTITLED to share our experiences and offer guides to those
that want it even if it is not what JOEL ESLER - deny-er of problems,
wants to hear.  If my complaints about your signatures, demonstrations
of their ineffectiveness and highlighter of your denial to problems
helps others to move on to employing 3rd party signatures (or move away
from Clam completely) to simply ensure their system is protected as they
expect it to be then I consider MY JOB as a helpful 'assistant'  done.
Perhaps its something you should take note of.

Case in point:

You have just said the list I provided was not up to date.  Ooh, thats
ok then, as long as the users get infected by OLD viruses, they should
be happy.

Most of those files that failed detection by your product I REPORTED TO
CLAM at the time.  Yes, even the ones that are 2 years old.  And the
first file in the list are only 3 days old.  So somewhere between 2
years and 3 days old, still not being detected - when exactly do you
want a valid file to be detected and therefore see Clam as successful?
Before its released? Or another couple of years??

And going back to earlier in the thread I am not the only one. Quote G.W
Haywood:

"I'll disagree too, since ClamAV here sees approximately one virus per
annum "

and Im sure you dont have to look very hard for others to have the same
experience.  This maillist is full of people saying "Ive reported but
still its not added...." type complaints.  (And where its not added, its
missing and threats go undetected).

In other words, Mr Manager,  if you dont want me (and others)
complaining about the product, then dont give me anything to complain about.

(p.s Note for the Joel Esler fan club:  Dont bother trying to defend, Im
sure he is big enough to fight his own battles and Im pretty thick
skinned.  I have my system working with 3rd party signatures and no
better than to rely on it to save it (its supplementary to other AV
features) and if you are believer of the usefulness of this product,
rely on it without other suuplementds and say my FACTS above are wrong
then you really a fool to yourself.)

Your welcome!