[clamav-users] A workaround for the major ClamAV DB update delays we have been experiencing

Paul Kosinski clamav-users at iment.com
Mon Dec 10 21:34:55 EST 2018

We ARE using freshclam to perform the actual update. And always have
been!

We've only been using curl (not wget, if that matters) to pull the first
few bytes of the cvd to see if its version number matches what the DNS
TXT query said.

We do this because, after the conversion to Cloudflare, we were getting
lots of FAILURES where *freshclam* said things were out of sync (and
eventually disabled all the mirrors).

And we have recently seen that our Web server sometimes can get the new
updates (from IAD) *hours* before our main LAN does (from BOS).

P.S. It's been quite frustrating getting some replies seemingly based on
assumptions that we are doing things we shouldn't, when we aren't in
fact doing those things. (Like not using freshclam.)