[clamav-users] Can't detect deceptive URL's as infected !!

Al Varnell alvarnell at mac.com
Wed Dec 12 03:59:09 EST 2018

You mentioned earlier that ClamAV has recently added signatures from PhishTank, but I've noticed over the last few days that most, if not all of them have been removed. Should I conclude that the PhishTank organization signatures are resulting in a high False Positive count? Are they simply accepting all the submissions they get as valid fishing attempts and not QAing them before release?

Part of my interest is that I've been providing input to them for years after first establishing that the spam e-mail I received is from an address that doesn't match the purported notice of impeding doom and offer to fix by clicking a link which does not match the announced domain? I'm not sure all users would go to such lengths and might be forwarding all their spam to these folks. Or perhaps some are flooding the site with valid url's in an attempt defeat their purpose.

-Al-

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 08:01 PM, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) wrote:
> Hi Sunny,
>
> I meant to say that if I scanned a saved email file containing the malicious URL in an HTML link (i.e.   a href=link  ), then it will detect the link with the safebrowsing signature.  However, if the malicious URL is not an HTML link, for example if the email content is plain text, then the safebrowsing signature does not appear to alert.
>
> Regards,
> Micah
>
> Micah Snyder
> ClamAV Development
> Talos
> Cisco Systems, Inc.
>

>> On Dec 11, 2018, at 8:58 AM, Sunny Marwah <sunnymarwah at trepup.com <mailto:sunnymarwah at trepup.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Al,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing that reply.
>>
>> Do you mean ClamAV did not detect that file (containing deceptive link) as 'Infected" in your scanning ?
>>
>> FYI, i have also tried Google's Safebrowsing API to check such deceptive links.
>>
>> It was really strange to know that even Google's Safebrowsing lookup API did not detect that file as 'Unsafe'. The reason behind is the deceptive link is phishing link but not malware.
>>
>> So Google's Safebrowsing lookup API will identify only Malware links as 'Unsafe' but not all deceptive links. However, when i check the same URL on "https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search <https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search>", then it shows 'site is unsafe' what i am actually looking for.
>>
>> Regards
>> Sunny
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 5:28 PM Al Varnell <alvarnell at mac.com <mailto:alvarnell at mac.com>> wrote:
>> Here was the earlier reply to your question
>> <http://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-users/2018-December/007245.html <http://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-users/2018-December/007245.html>>.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> -Al-
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2018, at 21:46, Sunny Marwah <sunnymarwah at trepup.com <mailto:sunnymarwah at trepup.com>> wrote:
>>> Same question again : Chrome don't open malicious links due to labeling them dangerous as per "Safebrowsing". Then why ClamAV is not able to identify such malicious links when "Safebrowsing" option is already enabled ??

>>> Our replies may be getting filtered by your email provider because you included a malicious link in the email chain. :D  I removed the link from this reply.
>>>

>>> Micah Snyder
>>> ClamAV Development
>>> Talos
>>> Cisco Systems, Inc.

>> --
>> Regards
>> Sunny
>> System Engineer
>> Mob : +91 9711155549 <tel:+91%209711155549>

>> https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq <https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq>

> [...]

-Al-
--
Al Varnell