[clamav-users] No good deed goes unpunished, or, why CVD files don't work

Dennis Peterson dennispe at inetnw.com
Thu Dec 20 14:05:50 EST 2018

On 12/20/18 10:56 AM, Dennis Peterson wrote:
> This can be calculated by counting the number of ClamAV hits in the clamd log
> using ClamAV signatures and the time period between the first and last hits.
> In my case I have clamd logs back to April (252 days) and 58 hits on ClamAV
> signatures or about 4 per day. Total hits from all signature vendors over the
> same period is 5921 or roughly 100/day.
>
> I'm in not much of a hurry to get the next daily update file within seconds of
> it becoming available. That was not the case most recently when I was
> responsible for production email systems with message rates in excess of
> 1M/day. And compared to some I've run over the years that is not a lot.
>
> dp

By way of comparison, since early November I've rejected 1300 messages using
only tcpwrappers from a total of 4958 rejections from all MTA options employed.
No way to know how effective firewall blocks are but there are whole regions in
the world I never hear from directly. Proxy providers complicate that.

dp