[clamav-users] We STILL cannot reliably get virus updates (since new mirrors)

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at cisco.com
Tue Jul 3 12:39:00 EDT 2018

On Jul 2, 2018, at 1:17 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net<mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:

on a typical setup freshclam is running once or twice *daily* while a
webserver these days can spit out the same small static txt file many
thousands of times per seond with zero load

That is not the results we are seeing.  There are a LARGE amount of people that check for updates once or twice a day, yes.  However, we have hundreds of thousands of people that check for updates hundreds of times a day.  We haven't started concentrating on these people yet (our biggest offender is one IP that checks 100,000+ times a day), but clearly that's excessive.  We publish approx 5-6 times a day.  So, let's say you check 50 times a day....  Clearly, that's enough.

--
Joel Esler
Sr. Manager