[clamav-users] Partial downloads of updates

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jul 30 12:14:03 EDT 2018

On 07/30/2018 11:28 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> I've been having some issues over the last few weeks with freshclam
> failing to download updates.  It appears that it downloads the updates
> the majority of the way (e.g., 95-99%) but then times out before it
> finishes the download.  (See example log output below.)
>
> This may not necessarily be an issue with clamav/freshclam itself, as
> the problem looks like it might be related to ipv6.

> $ sudo freshclam --verbose --debug
> Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/daily-24792.cdiff
> Trying to download http://database.clamav.net/daily-24792.cdiff (IP:
> 2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:b98a)
> Downloading daily-24792.cdiff [ 97%]
> nonblock_recv: recv timing out (30 secs)
> WARNING: getfile: Download interrupted: Operation now in progress (IP:
> 2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:b98a)
> WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-24792.cdiff from
> database.clamav.net
> Querying
> daily.24792.91.0.0.2400cb0020480001000000006810b98a.ping.clamav.net
> Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/daily-24792.cdiff
> Trying to download http://database.clamav.net/daily-24792.cdiff (IP:
> 2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:bc8a)
> Downloading daily-24792.cdiff [ 97%]
> ^C

BTW, forgot to mention:

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but the above "Download
interrupted: Operation now in progress" message is what I get when I run
freshclam at the command line.  When I run it via cron in the middle of
the night I get a different message.  (But still a failure.)

Again ... stumped.

Thanks,

DR

---

ClamAV update process started at Mon Jul 30 02:35:01 2018
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.100.0 Recommended version: 0.100.1
DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
main.cld is up to date (version: 58, sigs: 4566249, f-level: 60,
builder: sigmgr)
nonblock_recv: recv timing out (30 secs)
WARNING: getfile: Download interrupted: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(IP: 2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:b98a)
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-24792.cdiff from database.clamav.net
nonblock_recv: recv timing out (30 secs)
WARNING: getfile: Download interrupted: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(IP: 2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:ba8a)
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-24792.cdiff from database.clamav.net
nonblock_recv: recv timing out (30 secs)
WARNING: getfile: Download interrupted: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(IP: 2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:bd8a)
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-24792.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Incremental update failed, trying to download daily.cvd
nonblock_recv: recv timing out (30 secs)
WARNING: getfile: Download interrupted: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(IP: 2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:bc8a)
WARNING: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...