[clamav-users] About clamav's requirements for system resources

Micah Snyder (micasnyd) micasnyd at cisco.com
Mon Nov 5 15:12:51 UTC 2018

Our QA engineer Joe did some testing a couple of months ago to come up with some basic minimum system requirements for ClamAV.  He passed these along to the thread author already in a private message, but I wanted to share these here as well.

The following minimum recommended system requirements are for using `clamscan` or `clamd` and `clamdscan` binaries with the standard ClamAV signature database provided by Cisco.

Minimum recommended RAM:

- FreeBSD and Linux server edition: 1 GiB+
- Linux non-server edition: 2 GiB+
- Windows 7 & 10 32-bit: 2 GiB+
- Windows 7 & 10 64-bit: 3 GiB+
- macOS: 3 GiB+

Minimum recommended CPU:

- FreeBSD and Linux systems: 1 CPU 2.0 Ghz+
- Windows 7 & 10: 1 CPU 2.0 Ghz+
- OSX: 2 CPUs at 2.0 Ghz+

Minimum available hard disk space required:

For the ClamAV application we recommend having 5 GB of free space available. This recommendation is in addition to the recommended disk space for each OS.

_Please note_: The tests to determine these minimum requirements were performed on systems that were not running other applications. If other applications are being run on the system, additional resources will be required in addition to our recommended minimums.

We'll add the above recommendations to the documentation before 0.101 release.

At this time, we don't have recommendations for those using clamav-milter in conjunction with a mail server under any amount of load.  I'd be interested to hear from the community what your experience has been with real-world milter applications.

If you have any additional recommendations you think we should add to the user manual - we would like to hear from you.

Cheers,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development