[clamav-users] What is OpenSSL used for in ClamAV?

J.R. themadbeaker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 10:52:52 EDT 2019

I was compiling the new version of ClamAV and figured I would see if
it would build against OpenSSL 1.1.1 (which apparently it did).

That got me to thinking, what exactly is it used for? I did some
searching and only found one little post that didn't give any real
detail. Is it just used to verify the databases, or does it work with
scanning / hashing files?

I guess I'm just wondering if it is worth doing, or if I'm asking for
trouble. Has ClamAV been verified against OpenSSL 1.1.1?