[clamav-users] Freshclam slows down boot on MX Linux (Debian)

Paul B. pbpublic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 09:09:04 EDT 2019

I've been finding for some time now that I have a 10-15 second delay
before my machine settles down after a boot. It doesn't always happen,
but usually does. Perhaps it's a first boot of the day issue, I'm not
sure. But on opening Task manager I see that it is Freshclam
consistently causing the extended CPU activity.

I tried using the ClamTK interface / Update assistant to select manual
updates, but that makes no difference in Freshclam's operation.

What I'm looking for is a way to delay Freshclam's search for updates
upon booting, something like 2 minutes; or in general, to have more
control over its scheduling. I don't see a relevant parameter in
/etc/clamav/freshclam.conf, or anything in the crontab folders. My MX
Linux system uses init.d rather than system.d.

Thanks for any help!