[clamav-users] Freshclam slows down boot on MX Linux (Debian)

J.R. themadbeaker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:11:30 EDT 2019

> What I'm looking for is a way to delay Freshclam's search for updates
> upon booting, something like 2 minutes; or in general, to have more
> control over its scheduling. I don't see a relevant parameter in
> /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf, or anything in the crontab folders. My MX
> Linux system uses init.d rather than system.d.

You could add a simple bash sleep statement to the appropriate
init.d/cron file. IIRC some systems will run cron jobs that were
missed while the system was turned off... I have no experience with MX
Linux so I don't know where / what is triggering freshclam on startup.

# Sleep random amount of time before proceeding
sleep $(expr $RANDOM % 900)