[clamav-users] Can't download definitions

Dora Smith villandra at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 18:45:27 EDT 2019

When I type freshclam in my terminal, I get

Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> ClamAV update process started at Sat Aug 17
17:36:27 2019
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> main.cvd is up to date (version: 58, sigs:
4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> daily.cvd is up to date (version: 25544,
sigs: 1725545, f-level: 63, builder: raynman)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> safebrowsing.cvd is up to date (version:
48958, sigs: 2441766, f-level: 63, builder: google)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> bytecode.cvd is up to date (version: 330,
sigs: 94, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> ^getfile: dbname1.cvd not found on
database.clamav.net (IP: 104.16.219.84)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> ^Can't download dbname1.cvd from
database.clamav.net
Sat Aug 17 17:36:28 2019 -> *Can't query
dbname1.0.102.0.0.6810DB54.ping.clamav.net
Sat Aug 17 17:36:28 2019 -> Trying again in 5 secs...

And it repeats this two more times before telling me

Sat Aug 17 17:36:39 2019 -> Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Sat Aug 17 17:36:39 2019 -> Update failed. Your network may be down or
none of the mirrors listed in /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf is working.
Check https://www.clamav.net/documents/official-mirror-faq for possible
reasons.

The first time I tried it, it also told me it can't ping clamav.net, but
I could ping clamav.net with no problem.  And the Internet's not down.

I didn't change any mirrors when I activated freshclam.conf.   I did
activate a bunch of things, if you see something I might have activated
I should go back and comment back in.  Maybe something needs a database
that doesn't exist?    I activated every safeguard I could see.

I am using the current version, 0.103.1, that I just went through the
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG rigamorole on the Clamav pages, ALL of
it, to install, because the version in the Ubuntu repository is out of
date and I kept getting error messages.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04.

I am trying to run Clamav.  I want to run an antivirus scan. Right now I
presumably can't run it at all becasue it doesn't have its databases.

And I need to know how to run Clamav immediately, because I accidentally
got a really weird web page!   Today, not tomorrow and midnight won't
do.  Common sense.  Linux ain't just for servers any more.

Someone pointed me to a Ubuntu page for clamav that tells how to install
the out of date version that doesn't work because it's out of date, but
there might have been useful information on it - will "CLAMSCAN" run an
antivirus scan immediately?

Yours,

Dora Smith