[clamav-users] Can't download definitions

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Aug 18 06:25:27 EDT 2019

On 17.08.19 16:47, Dora Smith via clamav-users wrote:
>I went through your whole looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
>
>installation procedure to get the up to date version of clamav, and
>can't download the definitions.

according to your later mail, you are using ubuntu 18.04.  There should be
nothing wrong with clamav version 0.100.3 in this version of ubuntu, but if
you really need, you could backport (compile) version 0.101.2 from eoan.

it's not a good idea to compile available software locally, when packages
are available.

>It seems to download most of them but can't download one, and it tries
>three times, and then it fails
>

>So it downloaded main.cvd, daily.cvd, safebrowsing.cvd, and
>bytecode.cvd, but can't download database1.cvd or something, and there
>might be a problem with teh mirrors in my conf file, which didn't
>contain any mirrors and I didn't mess with them if they're there and I
>didn't see them.
>
>At one point it said it couldn't PING clamav.net, and when I tried I
>pinged clamav.net without any trouble.
>
>And when I get my definititions, I need to run clamav now and not when
>it feels like it - how do I exactly do that?   The GUI for the out of
>date version would only let me set up a time to run it.

which GUI? and what exactly do you ned to scan?

Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".