[clamav-users] Can't download definitions

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Aug 18 10:37:44 EDT 2019

On 18.08.19 08:35, Dora Smith via clamav-users wrote:
>It gave me an error message that my antivirus program wasn't up to
>date,

it's just a warning, not an error.

>and everyone knows your antivirus version as well as definitions
>has to be up to date or it will miss something critical!

what "everyone knows" is often incorrect and unimportant.
antivirus version must be updated only if changes in the virus database need
newer version.

Also, virus DB version has nothing to do with clamav version.

>Guys, you don't get out of needing to be as specific as you are
>excessively complicated.

it's you who makes things complicated. You even did not answer my question:

>>which GUI? and what exactly do you ned to scan?

Simply post ubuntu bugreport for installing new clamav version to 18.04.

>On 8/18/19 5:25 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>On 17.08.19 16:47, Dora Smith via clamav-users wrote:
>>>I went through your whole looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
>>>
>>>installation procedure to get the up to date version of clamav,
>>>and can't download the definitions.
>>
>>according to your later mail, you are using ubuntu 18.04.  There
>>should be
>>nothing wrong with clamav version 0.100.3 in this version of ubuntu,
>>but if
>>you really need, you could backport (compile) version 0.101.2 from eoan.
>>
>>it's not a good idea to compile available software locally, when packages
>>are available.
>>
>>>It seems to download most of them but can't download one, and it
>>>tries three times, and then it fails
>>>

>>>So it downloaded main.cvd, daily.cvd, safebrowsing.cvd, and
>>>bytecode.cvd, but can't download database1.cvd or something, and
>>>there might be a problem with teh mirrors in my conf file, which
>>>didn't contain any mirrors and I didn't mess with them if they're
>>>there and I didn't see them.
>>>
>>>At one point it said it couldn't PING clamav.net, and when I tried
>>>I pinged clamav.net without any trouble.
>>>
>>>And when I get my definititions, I need to run clamav now and not
>>>when it feels like it - how do I exactly do that?   The GUI for
>>>the out of date version would only let me set up a time to run it.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.