[clamav-users] How to boost clamav? Reloading database results in a talking timeout?

Scott Kitterman debian at kitterman.com
Sat Aug 31 12:53:01 EDT 2019

On August 31, 2019 4:32:00 PM UTC, Henrik K <hege at hege.li> wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:21:11PM -0400, Scott Kitterman via
>clamav-users wrote:
>>
>> Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you are unhappy with the
>service you
>> are receiving, you should switch to a different vendor.  I suspect
>it's
>> unlikely you'll get the same value for money elsewhere.
>
>Does this worn cliche really need posting? :-)
>
>But hey, I'm just participating in the community..  sometimes things
>just
>need a bit of nudging.  I wouldn't even continue to nag about it, if
>this
>was a basic volunteer project.  But we are talking about a security
>company
>that should be proud of it's code.

There's no problem with nudging, but being nasty about isn't appropriate.  I'll confess that I aimed a comment at you that should have been pointed at the OP.  Sorry about that.

I've been maintaining clamav packages for over a decade through three different companies owning the project and overall I think the Talos/Cisco people are doing a pretty good job.

They are generally responsive.

Also, in terms of being proud of their code, you should compare the code quality when Sourcefire bought clamav to the current code base.  It's night and day different.  Also the rate of security bugs seems to have dropped off (not to mention we actually get bugfix releases now).

So yeah, they could do better, but looking back, I think they're doing pretty good.

In this case, the 'worn cliche' is important, because unlike lots of other FOSS projects, this one doesn't have non-proprietary alternatives, so it'd be pretty awful if the community were to convince Talos that publishing it was more trouble than it was worth.

Scott K