[clamav-users] ClamAV definitions vs LMD/maldet

J.R. themadbeaker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 22:01:09 EST 2019

> does anyone here have experience/knowledge about LMD/maldet?
>
> What I don't understand is whether it provides any advantage over
> running just ClamAV for regular weekly scans. If I understand it
> correctly, the malware definitions are shared among these programs, does
> maldet give any advantage?

maldet uses ClamAV as the backend with custom signature files. I
honestly couldn't tell you how many are unique from other 3rd party
signatures.

I'm pretty sure the clamav-unofficial-sigs script downloads the same
signature files as maldet. The maldet program itself gives you
turn-key ability for various scanning, logging, and cleaning
options...