[clamav-users] freshclam -V output

Sean Clark Sean.Clark at servicenow.com
Thu Mar 14 08:53:30 EDT 2019

Hello,

I have read through the archives and could not find a solution. Also I apologize in advance as this might be dumb question.  We have our monitoring setup to check the update status from the output of `freshclam -V`. We are using clamav on Ubuntu and CentOS. We cannot figure out what controls the output behavior described below.

This is what we have always seen:
(CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core))
$ freshclam -V
ClamAV 0.98.7/25387/Wed Mar 13 11:24:46 2019

This is the problem we are facing when porting over to Ubuntu
(Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS)
$ freshclam -V
ClamAV 0.99.4

OR
$ freshclam -V
ClamAV 0.100.2

As you can see its lacking what we believe is the ‘latest definitions update time’. I see the man page says `-V` should just be version so I am not sure how we are getting that time stamp. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Sean Clark <>  Sr Network Engineer
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”