[clamav-users] Slow reload

Micah Snyder (micasnyd) micasnyd at cisco.com
Wed Mar 20 10:42:53 EDT 2019

I think Alessandro was suggesting how it could work, not how it does work.  Clamd doesn't work that way at present.  It has been a feature request for a very long time, one that I hope we can address sometime soon, but I don't know when.

Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.

On 3/20/19, 10:04 AM, "clamav-users on behalf of Bowie Bailey" <clamav-users-bounces at lists.clamav.net on behalf of Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com> wrote:

    On 3/20/2019 8:42 AM, Alessandro Vesely via clamav-users wrote:
    > On Tue 19/Mar/2019 15:35:39 +0100 Bowie Bailey wrote:
    >
    >> ClamAV is taking about 2 1/2 minutes to reload its database on my mail server.  This
    >> seems to frequently happen when we are sending an email, so the Thunderbird will time
    >> out on the send (although the message will frequently go through anyway).
    >
    > The mail server should scan the message with the database at hand.  A forked child can do the filtering while the parent reloads.  Upon loading, the child exits and new messages will be scanned by the parent with the updated database.

    That would be ideal, but it doesn't seem to be happening that way.  If I look at my
    logs, I see "SelfCheck", then "Reading databases", and at that point all scanning
    stops until the "Database correctly reloaded" message 2 1/2 minutes later.

    Is there a setting somewhere to allow scanning to continue with the existing child
    processes while the reload happens?

    --
    Bowie