[clamav-users] endless cpu-usage since yesterday

Hajo Locke Hajo.Locke at gmx.de
Fri Mar 22 03:58:32 EDT 2019

Hello list,

since yesterday we see a odd behaviour of clamd of some of our
ubuntu16.04 servers (0.100.2+dfsg-1ubuntu0.16.04.1).
clamd is not really starting up, it stays in top with 100% cpu usage for
infinite time and opens no socket.
signatur-files conf etc. is all ok, i compared with working servers.
Also with debug option there is no useful entry in logs.
now the joke: To see what happens i try to strace clamd to get a hint:
strace -f /usr/sbin/clamd --foreground=true > out 2>&1
I see a lot of read-commands at first when clamd is reading signatures.
After that clamd works the normal way, opens tcp-socket, less cpu usage
and waits for connects.

I can reproduce this of some servers. started by systemd > endless
100%cpu and no startup. started manual by strace -> normal behaviour.
What is happening here?
Any idea to fix this?

Thanks,
Hajo