[clamav-users] Are signatures for Windows only?

Graeme Fowler G.E.Fowler at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 18:04:24 EDT 2019

*decloaks*

We (Loughborough University) use ClamAV on our inbound and outbound mail servers, in front of and after Office 365 mailboxes. It sits in the middle of a fairly complex set of moving parts - another AV product, DNS blacklists, file hash checks, local 'reputation', several anti-spam tools and a load of custom local config (we're an Exim shop so have almost infinite flexibility).

We have a number of 'unofficial' databases loaded - some Sanesecurity ones as others have mentioned - and some custom local stuff that doesn't fit into the other bits.

Picking a random recent day, we had 135000 rejections, 6500 of which were from ClamAV. By comparison, we accepted & delivered 25000 messages to 66000 recipients (non-unique).

I know we're not unique in this regard, and I'm thankful ClamAV exists for many reasons, not least its extensibility!

Graeme