[clamav-users] [Clamav-devel] ClamAV(R) blog: ClamAV 0.102.0 Release Candidate is now available

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Mon Oct 7 09:21:04 EDT 2019

Op Maandag, 07-10-2019 om 14:18 schreef J.R. via clamav-users:
> > This particular hard requirement (libcurl) affects the communication channel
> > which is different than causing the code to fail to run at all. So the question
> > is do the new libcurl requirements immediately break existing systems that are
> > not yet updated with new libcurl functionality. It is kind of a big deal to
> > update a widely used library and creates knock-on problems from ripple effect
> > for production systems subject to strong configuration management policies.
>
> It's only a requirement for a new feature...

I'd like to disagree here: it is a new implementation for an existing feature (on-access scanning).
There was already a remark in a redhat bugzilla request to disable on-access for the epel-build for 0.102 (on which I commented, since that would impact a lot of users).
I won't go into the discussion of supporting "old" libraries on "old OS's" again, but for enterprise users (RHEL 6/7, Centos, Ubuntu LTS, ...) this is a bit of a problem (since the libcurl lib is also provided by the OS vendor itself).

Franky