[clamav-users] [Clamav-devel] ClamAV(R) blog: ClamAV 0.102.0 Release Candidate is now available

Micah Snyder (micasnyd) micasnyd at cisco.com
Mon Oct 7 10:08:22 EDT 2019

Perhaps there is something we can do to make it easier to statically link libcurl, specifically, with freshclam, clamsubmit, and clamonacc.

Regards,
Micah

On 10/7/19, 9:22 AM, "clamav-users on behalf of Franky Van Liedekerke via clamav-users" <clamav-users-bounces at lists.clamav.net on behalf of clamav-users at lists.clamav.net> wrote:

    Op Maandag, 07-10-2019 om 14:18 schreef J.R. via clamav-users:
    > > This particular hard requirement (libcurl) affects the communication channel
    > > which is different than causing the code to fail to run at all. So the question
    > > is do the new libcurl requirements immediately break existing systems that are
    > > not yet updated with new libcurl functionality. It is kind of a big deal to
    > > update a widely used library and creates knock-on problems from ripple effect
    > > for production systems subject to strong configuration management policies.
    >
    > It's only a requirement for a new feature...

    I'd like to disagree here: it is a new implementation for an existing feature (on-access scanning).
    There was already a remark in a redhat bugzilla request to disable on-access for the epel-build for 0.102 (on which I commented, since that would impact a lot of users).
    I won't go into the discussion of supporting "old" libraries on "old OS's" again, but for enterprise users (RHEL 6/7, Centos, Ubuntu LTS, ...) this is a bit of a problem (since the libcurl lib is also provided by the OS vendor itself).

    Franky