[clamav-users] Continuous increase of startup time (is daily.cld broken?)

G.W. Haywood clamav at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 12:49:13 EDT 2019

Hi there,

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Steve Basford wrote:

> 36,49,543 main.hdb
> 23,657,708 daily.hdb
> 248,06,499 main.hsb
> 905,00,729 daily.hsb
> 36,49,543 main.hdb
> 23,657,708 daily.hdb
> 24,806,499 main.hsb
> 905,00,729 daily.hsb

Have you finally worn out your keyboard Steve? :O

> On 7 October 2019 15:25:41 "J.R. via clamav-users" wrote:
>
> I don't know how the viruses are tracked, but maybe to reduce size (if
> applicable) some of the more ancient viruses that only affect EOL
> operating systems (or programs that should have long since been
> patched) could be spun-off into a separate definition file (that could
> be optionally disabled)? Seems like it would be quite a waste of
> resources for most if there were like a million definitions that only
> affected Windows XP or Office 2003 or something like that...

Well I only run Linux systems and I'd _still_ want to scan for Windows
and Office 2003 malware.  Call it social responsibility.  Just because
my systems are immune to something malicious doesn't mean I'll want to
ignore it when it arrives.  If my systems accepted such a thing from a
correspondent who has a vulnerable system, and then gave it to another
correspondent with yet another vulnerable system then I'd say that I'd
been irresponsible if I could have stopped it in its tracks with a bit
of effort and very little extra resource usage.

There are much more important things to be done with ClamAV, not the
least of which is improving the detection rates.

--

73,
Ged.