[clamav-users] Could not watch path /var/lib/docker/overlay2 error

Arthur Ramsey arthurramsey19 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 11:32:05 EDT 2019

Hello,

I’m trying to implement on access scanning for docker containers using overlayfs by running ClamAV outside of a container.  I’m using Amazon Linux 2 which is currently at 0.101.4.

If I set "OnAccessMountPath /“ an eicar test file downloaded and read via a container isn’t detected.  If I read the file created within the container from outside the container it is detected.

If I set “OnAccessIncludePath /var/lib/docker/overlay2” I get:

Tue Oct  8 15:22:12 2019 -> ScanOnAccess: Protecting directory '/var/lib/docker/overlay2' (and all sub-directories)
Tue Oct  8 15:22:12 2019 -> ERROR: ScanOnAccess: Could not watch path '/var/lib/docker/overlay2', Success

I also tried "OnAccessIncludePath /var/lib/docker/overlay2/<uuid>/merged“ which isn’t practical because the uuid is generated when the container starts but it does work.

I see that 0.102.0 has significant changes to on access scanning so I’m trying to test that but the configure script isn’t detecting fanotify support. I have kernel-devel and glibc-headers installed.  I’ve also confirmed fanotify support with "cat /boot/config-<kernel_version> | grep FANOTIFY”.

I get an error from the configure script:

./configure: line 30024: auto=yes: command not found

Here’s the full configure output: https://pastebin.com/0xYqhr2V <https://pastebin.com/0xYqhr2V>.

This was my attempt to fix it but it didn’t work: https://pastebin.com/k2kCrmHP <https://pastebin.com/k2kCrmHP>.

Thanks,
Arthur