[clamav-users] Detect Signed Malicious Binaries Using .CRB File Signature

Andrew Williams awillia2 at sourcefire.com
Mon Oct 14 08:57:13 EDT 2019

Irshad,

The recent ClamAV 0.102 release introduces (reintroduces?) the ability to
write blacklist .crb rules that cause a matching sample to be detected as
malicious without requiring other signatures to match.  Updating the
documentation you highlighted is still on my TODO list, but is true for
previous versions in the recent past.  I too have wondered about that blog
post - I haven't checked to see if this functionality existed in the ClamAV
from 2013, but if so it must have been hindered at some point (and likely
went unnoticed, since blacklist .crb rules haven't seen much use).

Hope that helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions

-Andrew

Andrew Williams
Malware Research Team
Cisco Talos