[clamav-users] Continuous increase of startup time (is daily.cld broken?)

G.W. Haywood clamav at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 11:44:33 EDT 2019

Hello again,

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, Vladislav Kurz via clamav-users wrote:

> Is there anything blocking this patch from being accepted ?

As far as I know, only the (significant) pressures and (AFAICT equally
significant) limitations on developer time at Cisco/Talos/SourceFire.

> I'm noticing clamav-reload related timeouts on more and more (mostly
> older or low-end) servers, which were running just fine a year or two ago.

There other ways of dealing with this, as I'm sure you're aware, but
using the patched daemon you only have to worry about the increased
memory consumption during databse reloads.

It seems to me that the amount of junk mail grows ever more quickly.
When not testing clamd, I routinely block for example all connections
from more than a hundred countries, a similar number of ASNs, and all
hosts which score a total of three or more in our weighted DNSBL list.
That's quite apart from the more targeted block lists.  Obviously this
isn't an option for everyone, but here it makes the difference between
email being useful, and email being nothing but a nuisance.

--

73,
Ged.