[clamav-users] How to boost clamav? Reloading database results in a talking timeout?

Reio Remma reio at mrstuudio.ee
Mon Oct 28 06:55:37 EDT 2019

On 14/09/2019 17:34, G.W. Haywood via clamav-users wrote:
> Hi Micah,
>
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, Ged...
>
> Apology accepted. :)
>
> I'm now running the development (0.102) version of clamd, patched with
> Mr. Wu's patch, alongside two version 101.4 clamd daemons (an unpatched
> one, and one with the patch that I posted on Bugzilla).
>
> The milter scans all mail with all three daemons.  On the arrival of a
> message, if the database is not already being reloaded I start a fresh
> reload before the scan so that, for all scans, a reload always executes
> concurrently.  Nothing seems to have broken, and so far there's nothing
> terribly interesting to report other than the strange failure to detect
> which I sent to Joel early this week (and which I'm sure has nothing to
> do with these patches).

I've been running a patched 101.4 for a few weeks now and unfortunately
I'm observing a memory leak from the multithreaded database reloads.

I'm observing clamd memory usage going up when the new database loads
and then eventually dropping down to 1.3G again. For some reason
"eventually" means the memory usage drops down only after clamd
processes the next e-mail.

The problem however shows itself if clamd happens to reload its database
2 times if a row with no mail processed in between. Seemingly it will
have 3 databases in memory then and the next mail being processed
releases one of them, but the extra database will remain "somewhere".

All sorts of weird problems always keep popping up on due to low traffic
on the server. :)

Reio