[clamav-users] Setting up a private local mirror

G.W. Haywood clamav at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 06:11:22 EDT 2020

Hi there,

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, Scott A. Wozny via clamav-users wrote:

> ... assuming I am choosing option 2 (serve CVD files from a local
> web server) when it says, “ let freshclam download the *.cvd files
> from http://database.clamav.net to the webserver’s DocumentRoot.”
> how, exactly, is one supposed to do that?

Just set up the configuration and the permissions required.

> The simplest choice I can see is to change DatabaseDirectory in
> freshclam.conf to /var/www/html ...
> ... my concern with that the current /var/lib/clamav
> DatabaseDirectory on my existing servers running clam contain the
> uncompressed cld files, not the cvd files.

Let ClamAV worry about that, and/or search the list archives, and/or
read the freshclam.conf 'man' page.

> Or is there a part to the private local mirror setup I’m missing,
> like setting up an entirely different mechanism for pulling CVD
> files using a bash script with wget commands, or ...
> Secondarily, I’m wondering if there are any gotchas I should be
> watching for on the web server side, itself. The 2 most obvious
> things that come to mind are DAC rights and SELinux concerns.

You worry too much, and I suggest perhaps about the wrong things.
Is there a reason that you don't just use a Web proxy (option 1)?

--

73,
Ged.