[clamav-users] clamav-milter get "ERROR: Unknown reply from clamd" on Solaris

Pierluigi Frullani pierluigi.frullani at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 08:11:06 EDT 2020

After fixing ( thanks Gary ) the problem with freshclam I'm facing another
problem.

- clamd running fine
- clamav-milter running fine

All the mails get rejected with 5.7.1 Command rejected.

What i've noticed it that in the clamax-milter log file there is this
"ERROR: Unknown reply from clamd"  while it seems that nothing even arrive
to clamd ( no ling in log, no output when running in -F --debug.

To get the clamav-milter compile I had to set -D_XPG4_2 in clamav-milter
Makefile otherwise I get:
netcode.c: In function 'nc_sendmsg':
netcode.c:205:25: warning: implicit declaration of function 'CMSG_SPACE'
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
     unsigned char fdbuf[CMSG_SPACE(sizeof(int))];
                         ^
netcode.c:211:8: error: 'struct msghdr' has no member named 'msg_control'
     msg.msg_control         = fdbuf;
        ^
netcode.c:214:8: error: 'struct msghdr' has no member named 'msg_controllen'
     msg.msg_controllen      = CMSG_LEN(sizeof(int));
        ^
netcode.c:214:31: warning: implicit declaration of function 'CMSG_LEN'
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
     msg.msg_controllen      = CMSG_LEN(sizeof(int));
                               ^
netcode.c:215:31: warning: implicit declaration of function 'CMSG_FIRSTHDR'
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
     cmsg                    = CMSG_FIRSTHDR(&msg);
                               ^
netcode.c:215:29: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast [-Wint-conversion]
     cmsg                    = CMSG_FIRSTHDR(&msg);
                             ^
netcode.c:219:13: warning: implicit declaration of function 'CMSG_DATA'
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
     *(int *)CMSG_DATA(cmsg) = fd;
             ^
*** Error code 1

should I define the same flag in clamd compilation ?
Or is there a way to troubleshoot this ( eventually without impacting on
mail service :) )

Thanks in advance

Pierluigi